Friday 11 May 2007

11 May 2007 Spirals and knots

Relevance? Well, possibly the spirals of the projected V&A structure, or spiralling out of control, or the position I find myself in viz a viz the designs FB did for Tiffany in 1898-99.

It's like this. Two finished panels are listed in the Grafton Gallery catalogue (1899), Music and Baptism of Christ. The former doesn't appear to exist but the latter does as does another panel, Child with Gourd. There are two designs which could possibly be Music - but which one is the right one? There are some obvious sketches and some cartoons (with leading shown) illustrated in contemporary magazines but might some of the latter be finished panels? Difficult to say. Wot [sic] a dilemma.

So I've been digging through various old magazines at the V&A Library trying to sort out this knotty problem. But I never graduated from Brownies, so my entanglement in granny, reef, slip and weaver, not to mention Gordian is overwhelming.




No comments: