Saturday 3 November 2007

A RANT!

This is YOUR Post Office they say - USE IT! Well, I do, but feel I'm being ripped off and just wonder whether there are, in reality, any standards and do I have faith in my post arriving at its destination? For example, when based in a small Yorkshire village during the summer I had occasion to send two A4 envelopes to a colleague. I went to the PO and had them weighed and the PO man himself stamped them. The post did not arrive, but about 2 weeks later my colleague received a note saying that two envelopes were awaiting his collection - they had been underpaid! So HE had to pay extra to recover them from bondage.

A couple of days ago I needed to send a parcel speedily to Dorset (not exactly the other end of the world) and since I was working in the V&A Library that day, popped into the S Ken PO. The lady told me the parcel would cost £20! I nearly shrieked (well, OK I did shriek!). She then said it could go for £9 if I wanted but it would take up to 2 weeks - for crying out loud I could run it faster! Pressed further she said there was a 3rd method of postage whereby it would cost £14 and may arrive in 2 days. I compromised and went for the £14 which involved her in taking down the address. At that point she announced there was no such post code. For the next 10 minutes she and another member of staff reiterated their stance that the post code did not exist, therefore the package could not be accepted. By this time the queue was out into the road and I gave up, waltzing out in a distinct huff.

Yesterday I took same parcel to my local PO in Kent. £7 she said - my eyes opened wide in astonishment - but how long will it take? Oh, couple of days tops! You could have knocked me down with a feather.

Oh, and the postcode is completely and utterly bone vide - I've checked.

No comments: